Monday, January 07, 2008

110. Back

"Back from what?" you ask. Well, I went to the GCN conference in Washington D.C. It was kind of a last minute decision (and because of that, it kind of was a punch in the gut financially), but I'm so glad I went. It was so refreshing... no, more than refreshing. Strength giving. But I don't have the strength to blog about it completely right now as I am utterly exhausted. A few late nights followed by (relatively) early mornings is too much for these old bones.

But, as I met many people who read this blog at the conference, I thought I'd say 'Hi!', and it truly was wonderful to meet you! Honestly, I was kind of floored by the reaction people had when they found out who I was. And so grateful. To think that something I threw out on the internet had a positive impact on anyone else is pretty powerful.

I also wanted to say that it was a delight to meet other bloggers I've been sort of 'blog buddies' with for years -- Eric, Eugene and Christine. We even got to go to dinner together one night and just gab. That was great. I also got to play Settlers of Catan: Knights and... um... ships? pirates? Damn it. I kept forgetting the name of the game that night and it still won't stick in my head. Anyway, I played that with Eric and Eugene. It was fun playing until 2 in the morning... I didn't win. Was rather soundly trounced by Eugene (or was it Matt? I'm pretty sure it was Eugene.) And to have a late night gab session with Christine. Seriously, it was an incredible weekend. One I won't soon forget. I'll blog about it more when I'm rested and coherent, but for now I thought I'd leave you with a little life lesson I picked up while I was there. It's not all that deep, but it is important. And the lesson is this -- learned after a ridiculously fun late night conversation with Grant from Armored City among others -- It is dangerous to talk until five in the morning with gay men, because things get said that might not be said under other circumstances.

Seriously, it's an important lesson.

6 Comments:

titration said...

Welcome back... And yes I'm jealous and regret not doing. In fact Friday night when I got the bummer call from my mom (see blog post) I really regretted not going. Anyway I REALLY look forward to hearing you blog about it.

titration said...

Yeah, I meant "going" not doing. :)

JJ said...

Yeah, it was a really fun time. And someone even asked about you... wanted to know if I knew who "titration" was and if she was there... you have fans!

Eric said...

JJ, it was sooo awesome finally meeting you! It really was surreal being able to hang out like ole buddies when it was actually our first time meeting each other. Truly amazing!

ArmoredCity said...

lol, your 5 a.m. thoughts are safe with me!

titration said...

I have fans. Woh. Crazy. O the regret.