Monday, February 20, 2006

57. Heresy Anyone?

In a minor deviation from my regular theme, I thought I’d share a little glimpse of one of my classes today.

It was one of my afternoon classes, which is actually pretty much my favourite time of day… it’s a class of 4 ten and eleven year olds.  One of the boys, whom I shall call Robert, found this weird plastic strap type thing, and made it into a crown, and declared himself king.  One of the other boys, whom I shall call Terry said (incidentally, in perfect English, which was itself pretty impressive), “Well, if you’re king, then I’m God.”

My eyebrows shot up, at first thinking “that’s some impressive theology for a 10 year old… he knows that God is greater than a king!”  But that wasn’t the end of it.  Robert countered with, “Well, if you’re God, then I’m Jesus!”

I almost gave myself whiplash, my head turned so fast.  But it didn’t there.  Terry countered with “Well, if you’re Jesus, then I’m Super Jesus!”

My hot tea almost came out of my nose.

Robert:  “If you’re Super Jesus, then I’m Giant Super Jesus!”

Terry:  “If you’re Giant Super Jesus, then I’m Ultra Giant Super Jesus!”

Robert:  “Well, I’m Great Giant Super Jesus…”

Terry:  “I’m Great Giant Super Jesus Ultra humongous….”

I think it was around here that they realized I was in hysterics and the entire class proceeded to lose it.  It took me about 10 minutes to get everyone back on track again.

Hey, a little heresy never hurt anyone did it?

Oh, well… I don’t think this particular bit of heretical conversation will hurt anyone.

5 Comments:

Liadan said...

Oh yeah? Well, if you're Great Giant Super Jesus Ultra Humongous Son of God, I'm GREAT GIANT SUPER ULTRA MEGA JESUS TIMES INFINITY!

Beat THAT. *folds arms*

Anonymous said...

Being a heretic only hurts you if you grow up in the 15th century.

Christinewjc said...

Speaking of heresy...

This is good news! The release of The DaVinci Code film may be scrapped because of a plagiarism claim against author Dan Brown!

That would be cool...

Brown deserves every bit of trouble he faces because of his blasphemous book that lies about the Son of God, Jesus Christ.

JJ said...

Boo

I think you've jumped the gun here. Christine was continuing a conversation her and I were having on her blog about this book... as always, context is everything! *grin!*

Anonymous said...

I interviewed Jason Thompson of "The Portland Fellowship" exgay ministry on TV. You can watch the webcast free here:
http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/247/

I asked him questions like:
-- "Are gays born that way?"
-- "Are there REALLY any such things as former gays?"
-- "Do all gays live miserable, depressed lives?"
-- "Can homosexuals change?"

Plus many other questions.

My blog article is also here:
http://fgn.typepad.com/freegoodnews/2006/03/formation_can_g.html

...Bernie