Monday, January 30, 2006

54. My Thoughts on Brokeback... Finally!

I think I may be the only gay blogger left who hasn’t yet talked about Brokeback Mountain.  Oops… heh.  

I did see it, I made a point of seeing it before I left because I was fairly certain it would never make it over here to Korea.  

I don’t really have anything to say that hasn’t already been said on countless other blogs.  I found the movie beautiful, and heartbreaking.  And this will sound odd, but I was actually shocked at the lack of graphic sex in the film, because certain Christian reviewers had referred to the movie as… well, containing graphic sex scenes… when really, I’ve seen more graphic sex depicted on primetime TV so… I’m not sure what they were talking about.  

It did make me think more about these closeted men’s wives, and how much potential there is to hurt so many people when you have to lie about who you are. And while infidelity will obviously hurt your spouse, just the lie – without the infidelity – can also cause pain.  I’m reminded of a story I heard in an excellent documentary called Trembling Before G-d (a movie about gay orthodox Jews).  It was a story told by a psychologist who had been treating a woman for depression, when one day her husband came in and said “I think I’m the reason for my wife’s depression”, and went on to confess to being gay.  He had never strayed, never cheated on his wife, but she knew he didn’t desire her… could never love her the way she wanted to be loved, and it sent her into a depression.  

Anyway, like I said, it’s not like I have any new thoughts… this movie has been discussed ad nauseam in the blogosphere so… just thought I’d do my duty and ad my two cents.

2 Comments:

Dawn said...

I realize this has nothing to do with your post, but I couldn't find an email address.

I stumbled across this site on teaching abroad, that made me think of you when I saw it.
http://www.aacircle.com.au/blog/

Hope all is going well in Korea.

Eric said...

thanks for being a team player JJ.

ha, actually, for TWC i put the trailer up but i don't think i ever processed my thoughts and reactions about the movie. probably because i did it verbally with my friends and i don't write as fresh if the topic has already exited my brain in one form or another...

as for the graphic sex .... yeah, um, right. i did notice that the audience got a clear shot of breasts but the guys were blurred out. hmm....

i saw more skin from Jake G. in Jarhead than in Brokeback.

Hope you're doing well in Korea!

Eric